Wednesday, May 23, 2012

North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains

Western North Carolina, in the south-eastern U.S. (how's that for a perfect blend of directions?) is a stunning show of every shade of green in late May.  The Blue Ridge Mountains are like densely forested folds of thick corduroy all scrunched together as far as the eye an see.  

Spring is in full swing along the Blue Ridge Parkway between Asheville and Franklin in western North Carolina.

The Graveyard Field's Second Falls have a sixty foot drop over the course of about 100 yards - an easy walk and scamper over rocks.

But while enjoying the falls, I looked behind me and found this snake!  I'm so used to living in Hawaii where there are none, I quickly decided it was time to go.




Bob and I in a meadow on Wayah Bald in the Nantahala National Forest
The lookout tower on Wayah Bald, situated on the Appalachian Trail
The Wilson Lick Ranger Station, built in 1916, now a piece of history on the way to Wayah Bald. 
The Inn in Franklin, NC - our home for the weekend
Baling hay - LOVE the smell of the fresh cut!
Blackberries that I wish I was on-hand to taste in another month or so, along the Little Tennessee River Greenway
The Blue Ridge Mountains form a stunning backdrop to the Mill Creek Golf Club

No comments:

Post a Comment