Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A visit to Idaho

My Daddy and his dear wife, Diana, have lived in Boise, Idaho for a number of years.  A few years ago, he moved to the Boise Veterans Home due to his advanced Alzheimer's disease.  In the entry hallway are photos of all the residents in their youth in their military attire.  It is so great to see how these men and women are honored by the staff who lovingly care for them.  A couple of times a year, I'm able to visit Daddy, and though he usually seems like he doesn't know me, and no longer speaks, I have to believe that somewhere deep down, he knows it's me.  This time, as I was leaving, he gave me that old, familiar loving look.  I told him "I love you, and I know you love me too".  And he looked me straight in the eye and said "Yes".  




My good friend, Brenda Mallaburn, also lives in the neighborhood.  We've been friends for years, and not only did our photo schools together, we also did a couple of very fun photo trips to Sydney, Australia and Fiji.  The autumn leaves of southern Idaho were putting on a grand display the end of October, so we took some time together and had a blast!







No comments:

Post a Comment